Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Angioplasty


Okay, I'm back. Let me explain why I was gone. I think my experience might be helpful to someone who finds themselves in a similar situation to me a few weeks ago.

About four weeks ago I had to do some work in my garage. I was very cold and I had to walk up a steep hill to get to my workplace. I noticed a tightness in my chest and some slight pain. I thought it was due to the exertion of going up the hill. It happened again the following day. I still didn't pay very much attention to it. The pain was dull and extended across my chest and across my left shoulder. Two days later, a tragic event took place in my family. Dealing with it, again I felt the pain - only worse. I asked my wife to set me up an appointment with a cardiologist. I visited the cardiologist last Thursday and he arranged for me to have an angiogram on Monday at the INOVA Heart and Vascular Institue in Fairfax, Virginia. I had previously agreed that if the angiogram revealed vascular blockage that the surgeon could go ahead and do a balloon angioplasty procedure and insert a stainless steel stent.

It turned out that I had two blockages and received two stents. I spent Monday night in the hospital and was released yesterday. Here's the deal: If I had discounted my symptoms there's a good chance I wouldn't be writing this blog today...

Until next time... To read more about angioplasty click here.

1 comment:

xpspk said...

Mike, sorry to hear about your heart problems. We out here in the hinter lands need you to stick around. Take care and I will be praying for you.

Larry